Let’s continue with the series on homeschooling according to your child’s learning style. How can we successfully be homeschooling visual learners? If your child struggles with listening and fully understanding what they are hearing and really just wants to read it for themselves then they are a visual learner. Our visual learners will process the written word and pictures better and feel more confident in learning this way. They are often avid readers. Typically they can read a passage and remember it with very little need for review. Sometimes they can remember what they have read from years ago.
There are 2 kinds of visual learners: the visual-linguistic (written word) and the visual-spatial (pictures). Maybe your child is a mix of both.
HERE ARE SOME KEYS TO SUCCESSFULLY HOMESCHOOLING VISUAL LEARNERS:
1. Read and Read Aloud
- Allow your visual learner to read their novels and texts. Reading aloud is also a good reinforcer.
2. Take notes and make notes
- Take notes while you read. You can use a notebook or post-it notes.
- Underline or highlight key passages
- Make notes in the margin
- Draw pictures and create charts
- Copy important passages or key notes
- Learn to make outlines of what they are learning
3. Provide written instructions
- Written instructions provide something your visual learner can refer back to
- Use visual/picture cue cards for younger children
4. Give lots of visual examples
- Use whiteboards or chalkboards
- Watch videos that bring subjects to life and demonstrate concepts. Videos that use bullet points in print are helpful. So are subtitles.
- Create charts
- Create visual representations with Lego or playdough, craft items, etc.
- Visit museums and art galleries
5. Create a visually calm learning environment
- Visual learners need a learning environment that is not visually distracting.
- Keep extra pictures (not applicable to the lesson) and clutter to a minimum.
- Have your child’s eyes regularly tested
- Print out copies of discussion guides and outlines before the lesson
- Teach your child how to create their own method of taking notes
- Use flashcards when studying
Here is the vlog/blog on Homeschooling your kinesthetic learner.