Schoolhouse Teachers is an online, Christian curriculum that is “Self-paced Homeschooling for Every Grade”.
From their website:
Since 2012, more than 170 lesson designers and contributors have worked with SchoolhouseTeachers.com to create the content that makes up your membership. They are parents, active teachers, retired teachers, grandparents, authors, and homeschool graduates from diverse backgrounds, six countries, and four continents.
It is a popular curriculum choice for many families around the world.
- It’s easy to use
- It is suitable for all the learning styles – there is something for everyone
- Lots of helpful parent resources that covers planning, record keeping, guidance
- World Book – a trustworthy online resource – and 25,000+ streaming family videos
- 400+ online, self-paced homeschool courses with lesson plans. A great range of electives
- Traditional academic classes mixed with interest-lead learning
- Clear scope and sequence for each grade
- School Boxes – a list of suggested courses to make a complete homeschool curriculum for each of the grades from Kindergarten through 12th grade
- Have a “preparing for college” section
- Focused learning centers – where you can find courses based on what you need or style you want to follow, like Charlotte Mason or Classical education. They even have a focus center for special needs
- Requires discipline – when you have so many courses and classes it is easy to keep jumping to something new and not finish a course
- Can feel overwhelming at the beginning as there is so much material available (but you have available support to help you find the right courses for your children)
- Not accredited (if this is something that is important to you or need to meet State requirements)
- A lot of time is spent online
- Not scheduled as to day and week. Some people like to have a curriculum scheduled for them. You can get lesson plans, but then you will need to schedule that with your children.
The cost of Schoolhouse Teachers is very reasonable. It is $270 for the entire year. (And that price is locked in – it will never increase if you renew automatically annually.) Or you can pay $30 a month. This is not per child but per family! So, if you have multiple children this could be a great option.
All course materials are included and you can cancel at any time.
- Can be used as a complete curriculum or as a supplement
- They have a quarterly magazine, The Old Schoolhouse, with your year subscription. The additional resource of World Book Online is a wonderful asset to the curriculum.
- If you do not want a strong faith based curriculum, this is not for you.
- I can see why so many families like this curriculum for their families, especially if they don’t want to spend a lot of time in preparation and planning. This works great for working parents who are homeschooling.
- The special needs support is encouraging and by not labeling courses as specific grade levels, your child can work where they are at at a pace that is right for them (though this does apply to all children!)
Schoolhouse Teachers would be a good curriculum for families who want an online curriculum and that is faith based and comprehensive. If you don’t have time or don’t want to spend time on prep and planning, then this would suit you well. By having a variety of styles of lessons and thousands of videos, this makes it a strong contender for visual and auditory learners. If you have a child with special needs, the support they have will be of benefit for you.
Check out Schoolhouse Teachers here.