I don’t know about you, but as much as I love Christmas, I also do love the beauty of Autumn (Fall). We have just finished up October and now it’s time to continue with all things Thanksgiving and Autumny and making the most of November. What speaks to you during this month? For me it is harvest foods and drinks…..I love hot apple cider (one of the few hot drinks I enjoy) but I will run from pumpkin pie as though someone is coming after me with a published paper full of grammatical errors 😉 These popcorn balls are a great treat and speak Autumn to me, especially if you add caramel! (What is it about Autumn that makes you crave caramel??)
My girls love to bake and make things in the kitchen. They love messes and they love food. This is a fun family activity and so easy to make. It is also delicious.
What you will need:
- 12 cups popcorn (about 2 bags of microwave popcorn)
- ⅓ cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring (if you like)
- Caramel bits or Mini M&Ms (whatever you like really) – about a cup total
- Cooking spray (for your hands)
- Cook popcorn on the stovetop or microwave.
- Transfer to a large bowl and remove all unpopped kernels.
- Put butter in a microwave safe dish, microwave on high until melted (about 30-60 seconds).
- Add marshmallows. Cook for an additional 90 seconds or until puffy.
- Stir in vanilla and food coloring if desired.
- Add caramel bits or M&Ms to the popcorn and mix.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the popcorn. Stir until coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray. Form into popcorn balls by hand.
- Roll in sprinkles and leave on parchment paper or plate to firm up.
The great thing about this recipe is you get to have fun, make a mess and have a delicious treat! The downside is that they are delicious and you end up eating too much! Doh!
Thinking ahead to Christmas? Why not try these Edible Christmas Trees!